Cheap Boat Insurance in Florida
In Florida, you don’t have to have insurance to own a boat. You are just required to register and title your boat to the State of Florida, obtain a safety identification card, and carry certain safety equipment on board.
But you can’t get a loan to buy or refinance your boat without getting boat insurance first, and the value of the most affordable boat insurance will hit home if your boat is damaged in a collision on the water or in a storm. And what will you do if your paid-for boat is stolen?
You can get a boat insurance quote at the same place you can find the most affordable auto insurance in Florida, Affordable Car Insurance Tampa. We can help you find the best Florida boat insurance in just minutes.
But Isn’t My Boat Covered by My Florida Homeowner’s Insurance?
Most homeowner’s insurance policies in Florida offer only limited coverage for your boat.
- Total coverage on your boat is usually limited to $1,000 and covers only certain kinds of damage.
- Your homeowner’s policy may provide limited coverage if you cause property damage or bodily harm to others, but only for certain kinds of boats.
- Personal property you take from your home to use on your boat may be covered, but not if you use it exclusively on your boat.
This Is the Coverage You Get with a Florida Boat Owner’s Policy
A boat insurance policy gives you a lot more coverage. With the best Florida boat insurance, you get all of these hazards covered:
- Damage to your boat, or to your personal property. There will be a deductible, but you are covered whether your boat is in the water or still on the trailer. Most Florida boat insurance policies cover a dinghy as part of your boat.
- Liability coverage for guests on your boat, and in case your use of the boat causes injuries to others.
- Payments for medical bills and funeral expenses for anyone involved in an accident while they are on your boat, or water skiing behind your boat. In Florida, these expenses are covered regardless of who is at fault.
- Uninsured boat owner’s coverage in case your boat is damaged by another boat not covered by liability insurance.
- Towing costs in case you are stranded and need to be towed into a dock or a port, and if your vehicle breaks down while you are taking your boat to the water.
Affordable Car Insurance Tampa can also help you get coverage for jet skis and other personal watercraft. We can add coverage for boating in international waters, including trips to the Bahamas. And we can help you record your hurricane plan that allows you to get coverage for wind damage.
How Much Will Florida Boat Owner’s Insurance Cost
Your boat insurance quote depends on a number of factors, such as:
- How much you paid for your boat.
- What kind of boat it is.
- The size of your boat.
- Where you store your boat.
- Your boat’s navigational history. That is, where you take your boat and where it has been.
- How often you use your boat.
Florida boat owner’s insurance is more expensive than boat owner’s insurance in northern states because Florida boat owners can use their boats all year round. But there are a number of ways you can lower the cost of your boat insurance in Florida,
- If you are in the process of buying a boat, you can choose a new boat rather than a used boat to get lower insurance rates.
- If you own a sailboat, you can add an outboard motor for emergency use, so you won’t have to be towed.
- You can take a boating safety course in person or online.
- You can consider a higher deductible, as long as it would not put you in the position of not being able to repair or replace your boat.
- If you don’t use your boat all year, you can let your agent know, so you can get the more affordable storage insurance rates for your boat for part of the year.
- You can insure “cash value” instead of “agreed value,” but you would get less money if your boat were destroyed.
It isn’t easy to find the most affordable Florida boat insurance online. Websites only offer policies from a limited number of companies, while Affordable Car Insurance Tampa can search dozens of companies to find the lowest rates for the coverage you need. Call us at
813-328-1985 right now and you will have a quote in just 10 minutes!