Even if you’ve never gotten a ticket in your life, anyone can stand to become a safer driver. Every year, millions of people get into auto accidents that result in property damage and even more serious consequences. Why not make your New Year’s resolution “becoming a safer driver in Tampa, FL”? Not only will it help keep your insurance costs down, but you and your loved ones will feel more confident when you’re out on the road.
Here are our best safe driving tips to guide your New Year’s resolutions in Tampa, FL:
- Wear your seatbelt: Even in 2020, there are still people who avoid wearing a seatbelt. Statistics have shown that wearing a seatbelt saves lives, whether you’re the driver or the passenger. Not wearing a seatbelt increases the likelihood that you’ll be ejected from the car in the event of an accident. Don’t risk this deadly possibility—make sure everyone in your car is wearing their seatbelt.
- Avoid speeding: Speed limits aren’t just suggestions. They’re chosen to ensure that people can cruise down the road efficiently and If you’re in an accident, the lower rate of speed also lowers the chances of a severe or fatal outcome. If you find that you’re always running late, force yourself to leave 15 minutes earlier so you can slow down.
- Stay sober: This should be a no-brainer, but many people have difficulty gauging whether they’re sober enough to drive. If you’re going out drinking, make sure you have a fully sober designated driver, or that you call a rideshare service. No night out is worth harming yourself and others.
- Share the road: When you see bicyclists or pedestrians on the road, be sure to give them a wide berth. Pedestrian and cyclist fatalities are growing as more and more people bike or walk to work.
- Use your turn signals: You might think it’s obvious what you’re trying to do, but the drivers around you can’t read your mind. Make it a habit to use your turn signal, especially because you can’t guarantee that other drivers aren’t distracted.
- Put down the distractions: Speaking of distractions, keep yours to a minimum. Never text and drive, and use a hands-free device if you need to make a call. Teach your children to stay calm and buckled up while you’re driving—or make good on that age-old threat to “stop it right now, or I’m pulling over.”
- Keep up on regular maintenance: Finally, your car’s condition factors into your driving safety. Make sure you take it in for regular oil changes and preventative maintenance as the manufacturer recommends. The last thing anyone needs is a surprise breakdown in the middle of the road.
Following these safe driving tips in Tampa, FL will keep your insurance costs down. If you’re searching for cheap car insurance in the new year, call Affordable Car Insurance Tampa today to get a quote. We look forward to helping you find a policy that meets your needs while also working with your budget.